Why are Internships important?
Updated: Jul 24, 2020
The overarching goal of higher education at large is to adequately prepare students to achieve success in their future careers. While facing a certain level of academic rigor and gaining important life skills can be considered crucial aspects of career preparedness that students receive while in college, more and more importance is being placed on the value of experiential learning. It opens the door to diverse career opportunities.
Exploring is an important part of the college experience, and internships are a great way for students to acquaint themselves with the field they are interested in.
1. An Internship provides a real life experience and exposure: Internships are a great way to apply the knowledge from the classroom to real-world experience. Learning is one thing, but taking those skills into the workforce and applying them is a great way to explore different career paths and specializations that suit individual interests.
2. It helps in the enrichment of the intellectual level: Internships give an insight to the students for what to expect in their field and increases confidence in their work. Internships can provide students with the soft skills needed in the workplace and in leadership positions thereby giving an edge to their intellect level.
3. Great way to earn stipend and PPO: Many internships provide a lucrative offer where you can get a valuable work experience and are rewarded for the same in monetary terms at the same time. Internships offer opportunities to transition into full-time positions. Although it is not guaranteed, most employers are always seeking to add value to their organization. With an internship you are given the opportunity to showcase your talents, commitment, and value to a prospective employer. Furthermore, employers are more inclined to hire you once they have invested time and money to train you.
4. Gives your CV an edge: Internships are the perfect way to enhance your resume through relevant experiences. When an employer sees that you’ve completed an internship over the summer, for a 2 month span it will go a long way to convincing them that you are an asset to their company. During your internship you can acquire new skills and abilities which can improve yourself as a young professional, and furthermore enhance your resume. The more experience you acquire, the brighter are the chances for you to land in your dream job.
5. A perfect way to enhance your network: Networking is an exchange of information between people, with the ultimate goal of establishing acquaintances and relationships to advance your professional career. Partaking in an internship allows you to establish deeper relationships than you normally would talking to a stranger one-on-one. Being an intern gives you more opportunities to build connections with company professionals that can be very beneficial for your future career.